In January 1999, a group of academic libraries in Hong Kong agreed to set up among themselves the Hong Kong Chinese Authority (Name) (HKCAN) Workgroup for establishing a union database that would reflect the unique characteristics of the Chinese authors and organizational names. This project was spearheaded by both Lingnan and Chinese University Libraries.
With goal modeled after the Programme for Cooperative Cataloguing, the HKCAN Workgroup aims to improve and streamline authority-control operations, in order to make them “Better”, “Faster”, and “Cheaper” while producing “More”.
Terms of Reference for HKCAN
- To facilitate a collaborative project among the participating libraries, for the development of “Hong Kong Chinese Authority (Name) database – HKCAN” that would reflect the characteristics of authors/organizations in Hong Kong.
- To create multilingual, multi-script, centralized, and union database in a web-server.
- To set up standardization for name headings, including personal names, corporate names, meeting/conference names, uniform and series titles, etc.
- To identify software that would allow multilingual retrieval via remote access in HKCAN. From which, the participating libraries could copy the records and manipulate the data according to their individual cataloguing practices.
- To set up principles for authority record selection.
- To monitor the future maintenance and update of HKCAN, and the distribution of work among the participating libraries.
- To identify related reference tools that would benefit the Project.
- To enhance resource sharing and to promote cross-straits co-operation with other libraries for Chinese name authority control.
|Chinese University of Hong Kong
|City University of Hong Kong||Celine CHEUNG|
|Education University of Hong Kong||Emil LI|
|Hong Kong Baptist University||Lolita KWOK|
|Hong Kong Polytechnic University||Rebecca YU
(Co-ordinator Mar 2017 to Feb 2018)
|Hong Kong University of Science and Technology||Zehua SUN|
|Lingnan University||Patti LAI|
|University of Hong Kong||CHAN Wai Ming|
- Chinese University of Hong Kong Library (Host Institution)
- City University of Hong Kong Library
- Education University of Hong Kong Library
- Hong Kong Baptist University Library
- Hong Kong Polytechnic University Library
- Hong Kong University of Science and Technology Library
- Lingnan University Library
- University of Hong Kong Libraries